Digital or Film

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Mon Feb 24 13:56:34 PST 2003

Digital vs film camera:

This last January I carried a Nikon N80 (35mm, using Fuji 800 speed
film) with a telephoto lens, which added quite a bit to the weight of my
pack.  After seeing my developed pictures, I have absolutely no regrets
about it.

It depends on what you want from your pictures!  If you are a serious
photographer or if you want pictures of high quality to frame and hang
in your house, then by all means take a good camera.  Keep in mind that
using it will cost you time on the road, though, and that in bad weather
you will have to decide whether or not you want to bring the camera out
into the elements.

Unless you want to put out big bucks for a high resolution digital
camera, then you are probably better off with a 35 mm.  Film cameras
still give you (much) better quality photos in any price range except
the highest (above $1000 for the camera body alone).

I will say, though, that on my next Camino, I will be carrying the
smallest digital camera that I can find.  I have my serious landscape
and architectural pictures taken, and next time I will be concentrating
on the people with whom I am walking and our activities.

Carlos