Vulgarities-Rossina # 2

Marie Rosado mrosadoa3APRESS.COM
Sun Feb 23 14:09:35 PST 2003

unsuscribe
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Xosé Manuel Alvariño
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Sunday, February 23, 2003 2:42 PM
  Subject: Re: Vulgarities-Rossina # 2

  (I gotta tell you, Rossina, many fellow Latinamericans think that Spaniards are the most "mal hablado" folks in the Hispanic world ( I concur). And my fellow galegos are, in my opinion, an excellent example (with which I don't have any problems). After all these years in living mostly in the US,  I am many times taken aback when I travel the peninsula &LA, and hear  "bad" words so naturally spoken by academics and what is considered high class, including other sectors (would u believe priests/monks?).

  Anecdote: I once attended a reception in Madrid in which Cayetana, la duquesa de Alba, very naturally threw coños here and there as one may with serpentinas at a carnival.

  Recognized writers (Hemingway, Zoe Valdez, Baudelaire, Zorrilla, Cervantes, Shakespeare, Wolf...) have used at one time or another terms which may be considered unacceptable, like a "damm, " here &there.  Yet, they are considered classical writers, some of which I believe are read without taking words that may be considered "bad," out of  context (Imagine censoring the above because of  objectionable linguistic terminology we may personally have), invalidating their greatness.

  Many people think that San Juan de la Cruz' poetry is highly erotic (I agree) &indecent (a Trappist monk I had a conversation with, recently, actually used those terms, within the context of the man's life). One of the ways my friend Tere was enamoured by her late husband was through his verses-well, some times taken out of context. Figure that one out!

  We have spoken in this forum about Rosalia (boy, would my gallegazos feel insulted in her being refered to as a Zsa Zsa Gabor!), Lorca, Lope de Vega, Sor Juana Ines de La Cruz, Hernandez, Machado....All acceptable, recognized, classical writers, which we admire perhaps because their work lies e within our safety box. Stepping out into today's world and facing reality, such as the one where "bad" words are heard, is essential-gotta keep up with what's changing &happening...Life has many facets and the world is more than the secure heaven in which many of us grew up.

  Come on Rossina, lighten up! We're setting out to walk more than 500 some miles. I expect that we will be speaking/listening  different languages in the Camino, with "bad" words included. Let's get ready, don't stop at GO!, and collect/experience as many beautiful conversations as we may have, with the great folks we're certainly going to meet, without objections, unconditionally, acceptance, understanding, non-judgemental and, that which summarizes it all, love.

  Finally, I really do not want to start an e-mail polemic regarding this issue, which will detract us from our main interest, the Camino. So, for myself, I lay the matter at rest.

  Abrazos d Xosé Manuel