thanks, everyone for all your advise

Sarah Leiser sarahdoddaEARTHLINK.NET
Sat Feb 22 07:32:00 PST 2003

>Dear Sarah
>
>I am leaving home regardless of what else might be going on in the
>world and think that at the very least I can walk for peace.  I already
>have my ticket.
>
>> Are there any
>> Buddhists out there who have ideas about blending Buddhist and
>> Christian
>> spirit while on this very Christian pilgrimage? Thanks. Cheers, Sarah
>
>Do the pilgrimage with mindfulness at every step, with gratitude that
>we have the ability to do it, with loving-kindness and caritas toward
>every living being.  Be open to the moment, take everything as it comes
>with generosity, patience, discipline, perseverance, concentration and
>wisdom.  Practice tonglen when you can't.  Dedicate the merit you
>gained for the benefit of all living beings when you are done. And at
>the end realize that it was all empty of inherent existence.
>
>On the more prosaic side I am considering visiting Plum village
>(http://www.plumvillage.org) in France after the pilgrimage, but I will
>be at Assisi before the pilgrimage. And by the way when Lama Yeshe and
>Lama Zopa visited Assisi, I have heard, that lama Yeshe recognized a
>kindred spirit in the Franciscans and wondered whether Christianity
>lacked the system of teaching the techniques which would help others
>get to the same realizations.  You may also want to read Thomas Merton,
>especially his Asian journals.
>
>Best Maura

Maura...Thanks for your thoughts, esp emptiness. The idea of emptiness
appeals to me somehow. What a fabulous idea to go to Plum Village! I'll
seriously consider it. You already have your ticket.....how do you know how
long you'll be there? That's part of what I can't figure out....I know when
I'll go and that I'll start when I get there so as not to lose the
conditioning I've gotten before going, but after I arrive in Santiago, then
what? Best, Sarah