Specifics About Beginning in St. Jean Pied de Port

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Tue Feb 11 10:27:54 PST 2003

Melissa,

It does not have to be done in one day. I did it in two days last
September by staying overnight at a gite in Hountto. For 26 euros, I had
excellent accommodations - six persons per room, with a bath for each
room and plenty of hot water. It also included a marvelous dinner and a
generous breakfast the next morning. It makes for a short first day,
since Hountto is only about 6 km from SJPP, but it is a steady climb, so
you don't have nearly as much elevation gain the next day when you go
over the pass across the Pyrenees. Reservations are strongly
recommended. I don't have the number conveniently at hand, but
reservations can be made by the people in the pilgrims' office in SJPP.
In my case, the reservations were made by some one at the inn where I
stayed in Ostabat. Another alternate is to take the highway through
Valcarlos. The route is shorter, there is less elevation gain, and you
can stay at a hotel in Valcarlos which is about the halfway point. The
Valcarlos route, however, is all on a busy, paved highway, whereas the
other route is only about half on paved road and there is very little
traffic on that road.

regards,

Bob Spenger
rspengeraadelphia.net