Walking the Camino in reverse?

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Tue Feb 11 06:42:40 PST 2003

I saw a few pilgrims "going the wrong way" and know of an eldery Dutch lady
who did Amsterdam to Santiago and back (73 years old actually).

It's true that you will have problems spotting the yellow arrows as, as has
been said, they face the otherway around!

I only did one stage "backwards" - from Rabanal to Astorga - and that
section is easy to track as, for the most part there is a dedicated trail.
The biggest problem was answering the questions from westward heading
pilgrims who wanted to know if I was coming BACK from Santiago having done
my pilgrimage.

A friend dodged this when he did the same thing by blythly saying he had
indeed been to Santiago (albeit 2 years previously) and they should take
heart as it was only another 200Km!

A returning rate of only 40% is amazing especially when you consider most
of us only walk from SJPP. It makes me feel quite humble to have trodden
the same road that they took.