Santiago Place Names in the Americas / Black Madonna

davidson davidsonaETAL.URI.EDU
Sun Feb 9 14:20:57 PST 2003

A little bibliography for those who have expressed interest in the above
topics

***for the black madonnas in Europe

Ean Begg. __The Cult of the Black Virgin.__ London: Arkana-Routledge; Boston:
Kegan Paul, 1985.
Good basic reading, with about 450 images, about why the "black" or "dark"
virgins are so populous/popular throughout Europe. 150 -page study followed by
a long gazetteer whivh lists by country each of the known black virgins &
their histories. 289 pp total.

&&& for Santiago in America and the place names:
__Santiago e America.___ Santiago: Xunta, 1993.
This is a huge, heavy exposition volume published to accompany a 1993
exposition/exhibit at the Monastery of San Martin Pinario in Compostela in
1993. I have an edition in galego, but I suspect there are versions in
Spanish, and maybe English. The exposition brought together hundreds of
Santiago-related images and art pieces from all over the world. The book --
440 pp -- has several scholarly articles about the importance of Santiago in
the New World and in its colonization. Pages 88 - 114 list the places
throughout the "New World" with Santiago in their names. It's probably not
complete, but it is an amazing compilation.

Linda Davidson
dgitlitzaaol.com