black madonna

Helen Burns inasiaaLIS.NET.AU
Fri Feb 7 03:48:57 PST 2003

Hullo,

I've recently joined this list and plan to walk the Camino in September
this year with my partner. I live in Australia, a practising buddhist with
a catholic background. In my planning and preparation, the "less is more"
approach shines bright. It is this and the diversity of mind(s) on this
list, so far that I am enjoying on the road already...

On leaving stones and prayers along the way...  am reading at the moment an
article on Paganism and Christianity in Spain from
libro.uca.edu/mckenna/pagan1.htm which makes several references to the
significance of sacred stones. And also to the history of the drinking
fountains found in every town and city. Isn't it incredible how over
centuries and centuries there is somehow a continuum of faith and basic
human need that is addressed through simple acts, prayers or gestures. This
and a letting go of excess baggage, seems to me to be the essential spirit
of a pilgrimage.

Has anyone in their travels on the Camino come across the black madonna? I
have found numerous references to her in France and Spain and recently
visited her at Chartres but so far have found nothing specific to the milky
way. She has a mysterious history and to this day stories of miracles,
healing, compassion accompany many of her images.

I have been enjoying so much the tales and advice from all and especially
the personal encounters and surprizes and gifts along the way. Thank you
Barry for your recent story.

Ultreya

Helen