Reminder - Pilgrim Gathering

lin galea caminante93aHOTMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 6 08:00:29 PST 2003

Please forgive the repetition, but it has come to my attention that there
are some folks out there who haven't received the announcement for the
upcoming pilgrim gathering.  Hope to see many of you in March.
lin

An Invitation to
The Sixth Annual Gathering of Pilgrims
   Columbia, Missouri, March 28-30, 2003

The wonderful tradition of Pilgrim Gatherings will continue this year
following the familiar pattern that we have come to appreciate from earlier
Gatherings. The conference will open late Friday afternoon, March 28, and
after a barbecue dinner we will introduce ourselves and share our pilgrimage
stories. Saturday morning we will convene in the lecture hall of the
Department of Art History and Archaeology at the University of Missouri, our
co-hosts for the conference. We are especially pleased to have as keynote
speaker David Gitlitz, professor at the University of Rhode Island and
author of numerous works on Spanish history and culture. He is co-author
with his wife, Linda Davidson, of the essential reference to the Camino: The
Pilgrimage Road to Santiago. His topic will be the Compostela pilgrimage in
the context of world pilgrimages. We will also have talks on the art and
architecture of the Camino from two art historians, Margaret Skoglund from
Southern Indiana University and Anne Stanton from the University of
Missouri. Later in the day we will break into smaller groups for special
topics, and conclude the day with a banquet with Spanish themes. There will
also be will be plenty of time during the conference for visiting with old
and new friends. Sunday morning there will be opportunities for attending
church for those who would like to, and we will conclude the conference with
a hike on the beautiful Katy Trail along the Missouri River followed by
lunch in the picturesque river town of Rocheport. Those who would rather
bike the Katy Trail, can bring their own bikes or rent them at the trail
head.

Registration is $90 per person, due by March 7. It includes all activities,
and dinners on Friday and Saturday evenings (Saturday and Sunday lunches are
on your own). Send checks payable to Barbara Overby, 1118 West Rollins Road,
Columbia, MO. 65203. Please include: Name of each participant, address,
telephone, e-mail address. Also note any dietary requests or special needs.

Hotel Reservations may be made directly by contacting Days Inn, 1900 I-70
Drive SW, Columbia, MO 65203, or telephoning 573 445 8511 or toll free 800
DAYS INN. Rooms are $59.95 plus tax. All have two double beds, and may be
shared by two or even three or four people for the same price. Breakfast is
included. Our block of rooms will be held until February 28. Our Group Name
is "Friends of the Road."

Travel by car, Columbia is midway between St. Louis and Kansas City on I-70,
about a two-hour drive from both. For the Days Inn take Exit 124 off I-70,
the Stadium Boulevard exit, on the west side of Columbia. Please let us know
if you will have a car here and are willing to help with local car pooling.

By plane, you can fly into Columbia from St. Louis on American Airlines
commuter service, American Connection, and take the local airport shuttle to
the Days Inn. Just as convenient is to fly into St. Louis or Kansas City and
rent a car or take the airport shuttle from there to the Days Inn. St. Louis
has especially convenient service and the airport is twenty minutes closer
to Columbia. The shuttle service called Moexpress or MoX offers a discount
for two people traveling together and a further discount if you book
on-line, www.moexpress.com. Toll free phone: 877 669 4826. An alternative
shuttle service is Tiger Air Express, 800 333 3026.

If you have any questions, please feel free to call Barbara or Ozzie Overby,
573 442 7882 or e-mail overbyoamissouri.edu.