The king was late.....

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Tue Dec 30 12:37:19 PST 2003

Hello you all,
I hadn!t meant to go to the Cathedral ceremonies this morning, but since I was in the  Quintana area I just went in.
First, there were metal detectors and searchers at the door examining everybody.  Equally, the entire Obradoiro square had been cordoned off and there was no one in it except the orchestras and Royal guards in nice green liveries and plumed helmets.
I was lucky enough to find a (standing) place right in front of the Saint Salome statue (underneath one of the orating podiums) and, consequently, ended up in the first row, so to speak; except for the photographers I had a full view of the king and queen.
The security was very tight because the ETA (Euskadi?) terrorists have been exploding bombs in various places in spain ahd had made a serious threat against a prominent person in the Government.
Besides the Queen and King every Spain notable was there, with the exception of <jose <maria Aznar who is persona non-grata in these parts. He is resented for dragging the country into the Irak occupation and causing the death of eight Spaniards, but even more so, because his government did not respond to the Prestige disaster with sufficient alacrity.  (The Prestige was the oil tanker that sank by the Galician shores and devastated the region´s economy).
The King and Queen arrived 15 minutes late to a solemn Mass before which eight black-robed monks, with large red Xacobean crosses on their habits, moved a small urn from one side of the alter to another, symbolizing the transportation to Compostela of Santiago´s remains.
The music during Mass was lovely with the huge organ blaring away and accompanying the Cathedral´s choir.  The king seems to know the entire Mass by heart, since he sang along every word.  He smiled a lot and seemed altogether affable, unlike the Queen who sported a rather serious demeanor.... until the Botafumeiro was put in motion.
The notafumeiro was already in place before Mass begun.  It was put in motion right after communion (when it is supposed to happen)and before Masss was over. As the botafumeiro flew away the Queen couldn!t take her eyes off it and was smiling from ear to ear, just like the rest of us.
After Mass the Queen and King went up to gove Jimmy a hug (there is a stairway that leads up to the image directly from the altar).
The central door on Obradoiro was open and the King and Queen, and the rest of Spain!s grandees, went out and down the stairs to a huge fanfare in Obradoiro and on to the Government building across the square.
Much as I, personally, am in no way enamored of royalty and such, I must admit that it was very impressive.
The only sour note, in my view, was that the King spoke, in sort of a civilian homily, at some lenght about Santiago and pilgrims and the meaning of the Apostle to Spain..... that was OK, but then the Archbishop rendered the homily and (I guess) taking advantage of the presence of the notable visitors, spoke about everything possible and then some.
A seemingly new practice at the Cathedral is to furnish some of the ushers with large white and blue umbrellas that indicate where a priest is giving communion.  It seemed to work out fine.
Well, tomorrow is the opening of the Holy door. Somebody told me that the TV coverage can be accessed in a computer by loging on to TVE-Canal Internacional.  (I am sure dear Pieter will know how to do such a thing). It will begin at 4:30 p.m. Santiago time.
The city is just lovely..... with all its Christmas decorations that go from one side of the street to the other and form a multicolored arcade all over the casco; the Fonseca little square looks all too beautiful for words and it seems as though every tree in the Alameda is decorated.
.....I am almost sorry that I have to go back to Italy on the 2nd. Oh well!