Vezelay to Compostella

Kathy Gower kathygoweraHOTMAIL.COM
Mon Dec 29 13:10:43 PST 2003

"catch a bus or a train at some point between the two towns, but this is
something I would like to
>avoid.    Is there a particular stretch you would recommend I do not use
>because
>of the absence of albergues?

>Do you know whether in Vezelay,  they would have maps with suggested routes
>for pilgrims?"

Phillipe,

I haven't been to Vezelay for ages, but the Cathedral to the Magdelene there
is stunning, from what I remember.  Vezelay has no train station so you'd
have to go from wherever you are to Auxerre to a regional one to
"Sermizelles, and then walk 10 km (pilgrim fare).  The Sisters of the Order
of Jerusalem have a convent there.  They are same that sing incredible
vespers at St. Gervais in Paris each evening.

 From Vezelay it's back to Auxerre, then St. Etienne, and on to a regional
train to LePuy.

I don't know at all of any albergues or marked routes between the two
places, Vezelay and Le Puy, but the French Confraternity might.  They're
called the Amis de St. Jacques and Mdme. Walcollier is most helpful and I
don't even speak French! (she's in Paris--every little hamlet seems to have
a branch)

the french website is:  www.amis-saint-jacques-de-compostelle.asso.fr

Good luck!