American Pilgrims on the Camino/Gatherings

Brooke Broadbent bbroadbentaSYMPATICO.CA
Thu Dec 25 14:54:24 PST 2003

Robert Ward,
I'm replying to your invitation to raise my hand. I'm a Canadian (North
American) from Ottawa. I walked on the Camino for three weeks in May of
2003. People 'from south of the border' as we tend to call US citizens
became some of my most interesting walking companions. I'm delighted that
'Americans' are holding their meeting in Toronto, or TO as we tend to call
it--in 2005. Please place me on the mailing list. I'll be there!

US citizens inspired several characters in my book about my Camino
experience. You can download a free copy at the URL below.

Brooke Broadbent
author of Camino-power: finding and using your inner-strength
www.camino-power.com
brookeacamino-power.com

tel. 613 996 5895 (office)
tel. 819 671 8192 (home)
----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Ward" <robertwardaGOSYMPATICO.CA>
To: <GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, December 23, 2003 12:54 PM
Subject: Re: American Pilgrims on the Camino/Gatherings

> Ah, but note that the Little Company of Friends has a maple leaf on its
logo!

> I assume you are being facetious (irony being our national forte), but
just in case you aren't I'll point out that the "American Pilgrims on the
Camino" is, as its name suggests, a group of Americans who decided it would
be fun to have a big annual get-together of Camino lovers. It probably never
occurred to them that anyone from outside the States would want to join (and
indeed, at last year's gathering, I was the only Canadian, and non-US
citizen, in the crowd of 80 or so.) My guess is, though, that if droves of
Canadians and Mexicans suddenly started applying for membership, the first
thing these good people would do would be to add "North" before "American."
Until that happens, it's a little presumptuous to ask them to change their
name -- like telling the Camino Association of Burgos that I might join
them, but only if they drop the "Burgos."

> I think the best indicator of the inclusivity of the American Pilgrims is
their intention to hold their 2005 gathering in Toronto, an idea that
derives largely from a desire to hook up with Canadian "Caministas" and
existing groups in Toronto, London, Ont., Quebec and (are there more
Canadian groups out there! BC? Alberta? Ottawa? Nova Scotia? Raise your
hands!)

> So let your hackles down and quit dissin' the APC! (Or was that the NAPC?)
We're all on the same Camino, and we can all be proud of where we come from.