Been there, done that

honestdoug honestdougaWORLDONLINE.CO.UK
Wed Dec 24 08:35:46 PST 2003

Ben Olas wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Oct. 2002 my girlfriend and I did the Camino starting in St. Jean Pier du
> Port and finishing in Santiago de Compostela (4 weeks total). I was
> listening to some music today that reminded me of the camino, so I
> decided
> to re-subscribe to the listserv. I would be happy to answer any questions
> anyone would have about the experience or our preparations. There were a
> number of very helpful people here who also have websites (can't remember
> them at the moment though, although E.O. Peterson rings a bell) that I
> found
> invaluable. Some things that I would HIGHLY recommend above all else is
> proper shoes and socks, and ESPECIALLY in Galicia some decent rain
> gear. We
> had some U.S. military issue rain ponchos that fit over ourselves and our
> gear, but if we do it again we will have pants, jackets, and backpack
> specific covers. Waterproof/goretex shoes are a plus, and a good pair of
> Gators to wear over your shoes to keep out water and mud really made a
> difference (one again, especially in Galicia).
>
> After 10 days straight hiking with few to no rest stops, my feet
> looked like
> ground beef. I cannot stress how important taking a break occasionally
> and
> taking off your shoes is. There are plently of bars/cafes along the way
> where you can take a break and get a cup of vino, or just crash anywhere
> along the trail. Be social, try learning some simple Spanish. You can get
> by without knowning the language, but any little bit helps.
>
> Getting off my soap box, one final thing. Keeping in mind that the camino
> is not about how much pain I could take was an invaluable lesson I
> learned
> (finally!!!) in Santo Domingo de la Calzada.

> Have fun customizing MSN Messenger — learn how here!
> http://www.msnmessenger-download.com/tracking/reach_customize

Hi Ben my son and I will be walking last week in April and first two
weeks of May we are not sure how far we would be able to walk in two
weeks to get to Santiago de Compostela .we are both fiit me at 56 and
and my son 31 can you give us some thoughts we are flying from Bristol
England into Bilbaon ,flight already booked get in at 5.30 local time .

Have a Blessed Christmass to all

God bless
Doug