Starting at Le Puy

Helen Burns inasiaaLIS.NET.AU
Thu Dec 11 03:34:49 PST 2003

Thank you to everyone who replied to my query re public transport from Le
Puy to SJPP.

  I have read both Virgin Trails - not specifically about Black Madonnas
but an absolute joy to read and a significant part of the book written on
the Camino and also Ean Beggs book. In the gazetteer section of his book
Cult of the Black Virgin  there is reference to a black madonna at Conques.
This one was included by A. Noguera i Massa in his list of 8 famous Bl.
Madonnas at staging posts to Compostela. {From "Les Marededeus romaniques
de les terres gironines", Barcelone 1977}. I was excited to read this and
have done some searching on the net but so far have not been able to come
up with an available translation in English. Any leads?

In my preparations for the Camino there has been a parallel intrigue with
the madonnas. Somehow for me, it brings to this pilgrimage an element of
the feminine and up until now I have found nothing written linking the two
historically.

Best wishes to all

Helen