Pledges: Kilometers vs Miles

Paul Newfield pcn01aWEBDSI.COM
Sun Dec 14 09:59:33 PST 2003

Europe uses kilometers.  The reason they do this is because long ago the Europeans discovered that they could earn more on these pledge walks by using kilometers than by using miles.  (BTW, since one thing follows the other, that is also the reason Italians back then invented the lira.)

http://www.infonegocio.com/xeron/bruno/italy.html

Paul
  People will promise to donate to the Youth Club a certain amount for each mile I walk. Since it is a 600 mile walk I would expect small pledges of a penny or, at most, maybe a nickel a mile.