Writing

Sally Haden hadense1948aHOTMAIL.COM
Sat Dec 13 07:40:56 PST 2003

Hi Galen and all,
Thanks for the comments.

>I'm a little scared that I might overload the new group messages.  I was
>just writing a message on the new list, and decided not to post it.  I can
>be pretty facetious or tongue-in-cheek, and I'm worried not everyone will
>always get it.  Also, I can be rather irreverent.  If I am, it is not meant
>to offend anyone.  My experience of the camino had more to do with the
>outdoors and meeting people than anything else, and I enjoy humor, Bill
>Bryson is a good example.  Also, reverence itself might be a topic I want
>to address, which I'll talk about later.

Galen, do please pen a bit about reverence!  That would be most interesting.
  I suppose you mean you want to say something about being/not being
reverent in writing about the Camino.  The flavour I get of your journal is
a reverence for the present moment, for what is real around you.  And that
reality can contain many... mucho... cuantas cosas../..things, material and
spiritual.   The whole bang shute. Todos.  Even the Cosmic Joke, or
something like that.  And God if the reader wants to see him.  Or just some
cheese, cafe con leche and a wanderer scribbling a few lines in a
backpack-chewed notebook.

If writing is too explicit, it leaves nothing for the reader.  It keeps the
writer in control and locks out the reader. It can make the writer big and
the reader small.

>I really look forward to people's
>submissions.  By the way, I wouldn't feel that you are "publishing" it when
>you send it to the "ramble" (name of the new list).  Personally, I will
>think of it as a space to brainstorm, throw out general ideas for feedback,
>etc.

Brainstorming, feedback... yes...

>If you do post something to the list, it might help if you put something at
>the beginning about what kind of feedback would help, what you are aiming
>for, who your audience is, etc.  Or not, just a thought.
>
>Mucho coolo about the writing prize.  That's exciting.
>
>Galen

I am going to send  a copy of this to the new group.
Sally