Suffering = Knowledge?

Lydia Banales lydiaaBANALES.NET
Fri Dec 12 18:08:33 PST 2003

Being a good little Catholic girl, I was raised with the concept of
"offering it up". The objective was to offer up my pain, suffering,
difficulties, for the benefit of the souls in Purgatory (those who had
died but still had to "make up" for their sins by suffering in Purgatory
for a time before they were allowed to enter Heaven.). I think this
concept must go back a lot further than 1200 because people have been
walking pilgrimages for a lot longer than that. Many of the Saints were
honored because they "suffered in silence" or offered their sufferings
for the benefit of others. Lydia