Sponsored students' Camino pilgrimage

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Fri Dec 12 14:40:07 PST 2003

Hello you all,
The Galician Xunta Culture secretary, Jesus Perez Varela, and the originator
of the Ruta Quetzal, Miguel de la Quadra,  have begun the organization of the
2004 fully sponsored pilgrimage.
They have invited students, from any country in the world, born in 1987 or
1988, to participate in the contest that will lead to the selection of the 400
young people that will make the pilgrimage.
Those selected will meet in Mexico in June and will bring 5 kilograms (11
pounds) of Mayan incense that will be used in the Botafumeiro when they finish
the pilgrimage.  The participants will sail from Mexico to Cadiz, (to
commemorate the 500th anniversary of Queen Isabel's death), and will sail on to Lisbon
and Oporto until they reach the Arousa riverbed where they will commence
walking the Portuguese Way with the intention of reaching Santiago the 24th or 25th
of July.
This will be the nineteenth time that students follow the Quetzal Way that
begins in Mexico.
The sponsors, 21 municipalities and other entities that include the Galician
Xunta and. the Rois Council, very much hope that at least one  Palestinian
student and one of Sephardic descent will participate in 2004.

Speaking of students and pilgrimages, today is the 12th of December which is
the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe,  the Patroness of Mexico that has been
named by the Pope the Empress of the Americas.  At 10:00 a.m. this morning 500
torch-bearing students arrived at Saint Patrick's Cathedral here in New York
City, after running, (in relay), all the way from the Basilica of Our Lady of
Guadalupe in Mexico City, more than 3,000 miles away (4,500 kms.?).
It is estimated that at least 50 million (yes, million!) pilgrims go to the
Basilica of our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico City every year, which makes the
pilgrimage there far and away the most populous anytime anywhere.  In fact,  the
Mexican authorities have built an avenue leading to the Basilica specifically
for the pilgrims, who never seem to stop walking towards the church in large
groups that come from anywhere in the continent.
The Mexican Lady of Guadalupe is not the same as the one venerated in Spain
under the same name. The one in Spain is a small carved statue of Mary, whereas
the one in Mexico  is the depiction of the believed apparition of Our Lady in
Mexico more than 400 years ago.  Whereas apparitions of the Virgin have been
reported in several places in Europe (Lourdes, Fatima, Mudjorge and several
others), the only one in the American continent has been Our Lady of Guadalupe
in Mexico.
It is somewhat ironic that Christianity and the Catholic religion were
brought to America by the Spaniards,  yet, when Mexico fought to obtain its
independence from Spain in 1810, it used as its flag the image of Our Lady of
Guadalupe.
In that war of independence, by the way, Santiago was engaged to help the
Mexicans as Santiago Mataespanoles (Spaniards' slayer).
Warm regards,
Rosina