Suffering = Knowledge?

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Fri Dec 12 07:41:03 PST 2003

I was thinking about the question of suffering in terms of whether or not it is important or
essential in terms of getting something out of the Camino.  I used to say that one should be
able to learn without suffering, by reading a book or listening to someone talk, or any of a
dozen other ways.  I have kind of an intelectual resistance to saying that suffering is essential
for learning.  Yet on the other hand, the most important thing that I learned on the camino was
made mistakes, got lost, got discouraged, and got tired and footsore.  So maybe suffering is
important for real knowledge.  At some level, I learned it on the trail, but it took me 6 months
after I got home to realize the full signifance of what I learned.

However, I don't think that it is wise or beneficial to pursue suffering for it's own sake.  The idea
of self-flagelation (literally) and other bodily mortifications is kind of a Spanish invention, that
dates back to 1200 or so, and not part of original Christanity, according to a Spanish professor
whose long essay I read in a Sunday newspaper while I was on pilgrimage.  Some of the holy
week and other processions in Spain, Mexico, and other places have people engaging in
self-flagelation, going long distances on their knees, and other voluntary forms of suffering.
Real life provides enough suffering without us having to look for it, especially if one tries to do
hard things such as walking hundreds of kilometers.

Vaya con Dios,

Richard