expectations

Doug Tustin marmotaINNERCITE.COM
Thu Dec 11 18:50:30 PST 2003

Although we each experience the Camino in our own unique way, suffering in
one form or another seems to be an important aspect of the Camino
experience for some pilgrims. One could fantasize a "perfect" Camino as
days of perfect weather, beautiful countryside, quaint villages, easy
walks, no aches, pains or blisters, comfortable accomodations, and pleasant
companions. Conversely, many pilgrims experience the Camino as an analogy
of life, which certainly has its share of good and evil, pleasure and
suffering, health and disease, euphoria and depression.

I don't believe one needs to seek suffering; it will surely be there as a
part of the total experience. On the other hand, I don't believe one should
deliberately avoid situations which might involve some suffering. For
example, a number of months ago there were a series of postings here about
avoiding the ugly industrial outskirts of Burgos - taking a bus, finding an
alternate route. Similar dismay has been expressed about Monte de Gozo. To
me, it is all a part of the big picture. Excising these experiences may
make the Camino more fantasy than reality.

Is suffering an important part of the experience? I think it is if we can
learn to experience it non-judgementally and accept it as a part of the
whole - an important lesson to bring home with us.

Doug