Starting at Le Puy - Black Madonnas

Paul Newfield pcn01aWEBDSI.COM
Tue Dec 9 05:20:33 PST 2003

I just peeked at <amazon.com>, there were quite a few of these books available in paperback for about $6.00 (plus shipping, etc.).  Some of the reviews pointed out that the author mixed myth with reality, and ventured into the realm of female fertility godesses, etc., etc.  The gazeteer, however, seems to be quite interesting.

I will not be buying the book (Too much stuff on my plate as it is), but I would like to see a listing of the known sites in Spain where these Black Madonnas are located, especially the sites along the Camino Frances.

Paul (in New Orleans -- "Let the Good Times Roll")
  Subject: Re: Starting at Le Puy - Black Madonnas

  Helen,
  ,,,,,,     I read a book about it years ago: "The Cult
  of the Black Virgin" by Ean Begg.  Looking at my copy, I see there are no
  less than 302 gazeteer entries for France, and 55 for Spain.
  However, since the book was published (1985), I am sure that internet
  resources will have already well outstripped its information.