Telephones

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sat Aug 30 09:41:44 PDT 2003

Hello you all,
Some of the greatest bargains in the Western world are bus and telephone use un Spain. I just can´t believe that I spoke with my office in New York from Burgos for about an hour and a half and it cost me less than seven Euros.
One needn´t bother with telephone cards, coins, or the like.  Just look for a ¨locutorio¨¨, or phone center, which abound everywhere, go into a cabin and dial yourself.  When you are finished the person in charge will give you a ticket for the cost.  You just won´t believe it!  Some of these centers will have a ¨Locutorio¨sign outside, and some will just say Telefonos-Fax.  Ask anyone and you´ll be directed to the nearest one.  A ten-minute or so phone call will cost you less than a dollar.
To think that I made a three minute phone call from New York to Mexico City and ATT charged me $49.00, plus tax, because, they said, the phone call was "öperator-assisted¨" in that I asked an ATT operator to give me the new access numbers to Mexico which had just changed.  Really, the blatant greed of some businesses is totally out of control.
Although somewhat higher in cost, direct-dialed phone calls from a hotel room are also surprisingly inexpensive.
Regards to all,
Rosina