leaving soon

Jilek, Glenn Glenn.JilekaFHWA.DOT.GOV
Tue Aug 12 06:49:53 PDT 2003

Deanna, I tried to send this a couple of times and my machine seemed to indicate it didn't (for some unknown cyber-reason) go through...if it did, sorry for the duplication.

I will go in May 2005. That sounds like a long way off and I am impatient, but that is when I can go time and resource wise. It gives me a lot of time for contemplation and to learn Spanish. Besides, I have come slowly to the realization that the pilgrimage really starts once you are aware of it...and I think that the pilgrimage is really your entire life. I am starting to look at every day here in Kentucky, every action I take as a step down the road. The Camino will be a very significant segment, but it is not the first (and hopefully not the last) segment. This realization is very helpful in handling my impatience and the desire for the experience of the Camino Frances. I already have a strong feeling of being lead somewhere, and that I am slowly shifting my sails to catch that wind ... but to be truthful the excitement is mixed with a bit of apprehension. You know the more I read about the equipment issues (which are very interesting and informative), the more I see the Camino as a metaphor for life. You really don't know what you will encounter...you can bring warm, waterproof stuff and encounter hot, dry weather or vice versa etc. etc.etc.. You ultimately just have to make choices the best you can and live with it...and learn from the experiences that you are presented with.

It sounds like you will be taking another route to Santiago next year...I look forward to reading more about your thoughts, preparations, and later your experiences!

And before I forget... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!

Glenn