Palas de Rei

Crawley, Jeffrey jeffrey.crawleyaFABERMAUNSELL.COM
Mon Aug 11 06:38:48 PDT 2003

Palas de Rei I did not like, the kings of yore must have had singular tastes - the high point of the town was, as I recall, a very interesting display of rat poisons and pesticides in the hardware store window which we studied for a good five minutes.

The refugio was totally empty when I arrived on Hispanidad 2001 with Roland, a Scottish Presbyterian minister and Bevis and Butthead - two young American boys.

There are walls between bunks and so, instead of my usual practice of undressing in the shower area I'd stripped off by my bunk and wrapped a towel around my waist (I prefer a proper size towel to those 'space age sports towels').

Suddenly in walked three very smartly dressed middle aged Spaniards, two men and a lady, just looking over the place.  They smiled graciously and bid me a dignified 'buen camino' before they left.

Roland collapsed in giggles and I never realised your whole body can blush.

Don't sleep in the bunks by the windows though, very noisy. I think every camion in Spain drove past that night.

Jeffrey

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU]On
Behalf Of Ana Young
Sent: 11 August 2003 13:54
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: Palas de Rei

--- Kerrie Littlejohn <kerrielittlejohnaHOTMAIL.COM>
wrote:
For example, in Galicia, many people were
> staying in the larger
> towns like Portomarin and Palas do Rey

After two Caminos I have yet to stay at the albergue
in Palas de Rei. It was always full. Of course, the
second time the floor was free (the first time I
couldn`t even get the floor). Even doing your laundry
there can be a trial because of the long lines waiting
at the machines. There are several hostales in town
there. Any of them would be fine ..

Ana