Sandals???

athena deannabowlingaYAHOO.COM
Fri Aug 8 09:41:23 PDT 2003

It's funny how people's feet are so different.

I started my Camino in some really good Rockports that had been fine on day-or-two treks here. But on the Camino, my feet were so bad with blisters and blood by the time
 I reached Burgos that I was afraid I would not be able to continue. I went into a store, found a pair of Chicuras the same size (a Spanish boot, I believe), put them on, walked the rest of the way with healing feet and no more problems! I left the Rockports by a dumpster in Burgos where I hoped a needy person would find them.

I, personally, have a much better history in the States with Dunham Cloud Nines. They are made on a New Balance last.

The moral? We can all tell you what boots work best for our own feet. Be very sure you know your shoes, whatever they are, before you set out. I was so very lucky to find those Chicuras. They saved my Camino. Next April, I'll be in my good old Dunhams, worn and trusted. And you had best be in your good old what-evers. Why didn't I wear the Dunhams last year? Because they didn't say "goretex". Well...forget that !!!!!!!

Deanna

Russ Irwin <rirwinaUSAOR.NET> wrote:
Glenn,

I spent about 6 months looking for the right shoes/boots before my Camino in 2001. I settled on
Rockport Alomosas (not sure of the spelling). They are low cut, light weight, waterproof and
breathable, with a 3/4 length steel shank. Not cheap either as the retail price was $130, although I
got them cheaper at a Rockport outlet store. I replaced the insoles that came with them with a 3rd
party insole (Superfeet). They are so comfortable that you could start your Camino wearing them
right out of the box. From St. Jean to Belorado (where I ended due to back problems), I never even
had the start of a blister. I also wore (hiking) Coolmax socks for their ability to 'wick away'
moisture.

While I prefer tennis shoes to hike in at home, I still use my Rockports when the weather's bad. I
only wear 'boots' when it's snowing.

Russ