santiago and santiago

David Hough caminooakappleaYAHOO.COM
Thu Aug 7 09:09:28 PDT 2003

Television de Galicia's many webcams can be viewed
from

http://www.crtvg.es/ingles/camweb/primenucamaras2.htm

On another topic, last week I visited the
Mission San Carlos Borromeo del Rio Carmelo
 http://www.carmelmission.org/
in Clint Eastwood country and felt right at home,
recognizing a large Santiago Peregrino painting
in the main
sanctuary and a Santiago Matamoros incongruously
opposite the Blessed Virgin in a side chapel.

Even more interesting in the Casa Munras museum
adjacent,
in the living room over the fireplace there was a
little statue of Santiago Matamoros in standard pose
over Moorish body parts, but dressed in pilgrim
attire on his white horse with no name.   I could
barely see the scallop shells on his coat.    I tried
to take a picture but the light was too dim and the
result was too blurry.    But it raised a question:
is Santiago Matamoros generally portrayed with pilgrim
symbols?  I couldn't remember clearly enough any of
the representations along the camino.

And returning to the topic of the first paragraph,
one of the monumental Santiago Matamoros sculptures
is on the roof of the ayuntamiento building on the
Praza de Obradoiro, which is the same building housing
the Television de Galicia webcam.