I have eight days

Eyskens jeyskensaAUSTIN.RR.COM
Mon Aug 4 08:16:55 PDT 2003

Admirably put Richard!  How do you do 40/k per day and still sight see.
Long stretches of the Camino is just trail, road and small villages.
Sight seeing usually entails side trips or rest days.  I spent 3 days
and nights in Santiago at the end of my pilgrimage and felt disappointed
I didn't have more time.  Skipping around on the Camino will take up
more than 1 day on public transportation, and the jet lag is certainly a
factor.  In other words, why bother?

Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Road to Santiago Pilgrimage [mailto:GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU] On
Behalf Of B'midbar
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 7:27 PM
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Subject: I have eight days

Hi folks, long-timer reader, first-time poster.

Finally!  After two and a half years I've found the time to go, albeit
only for ten days.  I plan on walking for eight of those.  Quick
background - I'm a forty-two year-old male, native of Colorado,
life-long sports enthusiast and have been training for the Camino since
March of 2002.  Right now I'm comfortable (emphasis on COMFORTABLE
folks, before someone goes off about "what's your hurry? take your
time") with 40km/day on steep terrain at high altitude with 30# on my
back.  I can do that daily distance in 6-8 hours no prob, and still
"look around" extensively as I meander.  Technically, although I could
cover more than 300km in those eight days, I'm looking to 'putter'
around a bit, especially in the afternoons, and look at and see as much
as I can.  I'll be flying from Chicago O'Hare overnight to CDG in Paris,
taking the trains from there to Bayonne and then on to SJPP.  Definitely
want to do SJPP to Roncesvalles and certainly the last 100KM from Sarria
into Compostela.  So what else?

I'll be flying out on either 09/25 or 10/02.  If someone tells me
there's some "must see" festival or other event anywhere along the route
during that time I'd love to hear about it.  I hope to do the full route
next year, but want/need/have to go now, this year, while I can.  So I'm
interested in any recommendations anyone may have.  Not looking to lock
in an itinerary or a timeline, but just want to know what's out there.

Lastly, how much rain (potentially) can I expect at that time?  My
ankles are strong, my feet tough and I'm accustomed to walking trail
portions with loose rocks and gravel so I'm only planning on wearing
trekkers during the course of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, B'midbar.