I have eight days

B'midbar bamidbaraCAMINANTE.US
Sun Aug 3 11:26:57 PDT 2003

MessageHi folks, long-timer reader, first-time poster.

Finally!  After two and a half years I've found the time to go, albeit only for ten days.  I plan on walking for eight of those.  Quick background - I'm a forty-two year-old male, native of Colorado, life-long sports enthusiast and have been training for the Camino since March of 2002.  Right now I'm comfortable (emphasis on COMFORTABLE folks, before someone goes off about "what's your hurry? take your time") with 40km/day on steep terrain at high altitude with 30# on my back.  I can do that daily distance in 6-8 hours no prob, and still "look around" extensively as I meander.  Technically, although I could cover more than 300km in those eight days, I'm looking to 'putter' around a bit, especially in the afternoons, and look at and see as much as I can.  I'll be flying from Chicago O'Hare overnight to CDG in Paris, taking the trains from there to Bayonne and then on to SJPP.  Definitely want to do SJPP to Roncesvalles and certainly the last 100KM from Sarria into Compostela.  So what else?

I'll be flying out on either 09/25 or 10/02.  If someone tells me there's some "must see" festival or other event anywhere along the route during that time I'd love to hear about it.  I hope to do the full route next year, but want/need/have to go now, this year, while I can.  So I'm interested in any recommendations anyone may have.  Not looking to lock in an itinerary or a timeline, but just want to know what's out there.

Lastly, how much rain (potentially) can I expect at that time?  My ankles are strong, my feet tough and I'm accustomed to walking trail portions with loose rocks and gravel so I'm only planning on wearing trekkers during the course of the day.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, B'midbar.