Other pilgrimages - Mexico

Richard Ferguson peregrinoaATT.NET
Mon Apr 28 07:42:07 PDT 2003

On the subject of other pilgrimages, I happened to be in San Miguel de
Allende, north of Mexico city, and was aware of a couple of pilgrimage
groups (hundreds of people) passing through town on their way to San
Juan de los Lagos.   One taxi driver said, "It is only a couple of hundred
people, not a big deal."  Unfortunately, I did not search out these people to
discuss the pilgrimage with them.  I believe that they were walking, with
their gear carried by a van, not sure what their sleeping arrangements
were.  Apparently this is a common pilgrimage destination, like our lady of
Guadalupe in Mexico City.  I regret not investigating it at the time, and have
thought of going on that pilgrimage myself.  Mexico is kind of my second
country, so I think that I could fit into a pilgrimage group there.  I think that a
group pilgrimage would be a very different experience than the individual
pilgrimage I made on the camino.  I would expect organized prayers, etc.

There are pilgrimages to Chimayo, New Mexico, with large groups during
holy week.

I think that there are pilgrimages all over, if you know where to look.

Richard