testing

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Sun Apr 27 09:10:18 PDT 2003

Hi Pieter dear,
I've a lot to say about the visit to Seville but I am not yet in the mood to
do so.
I feel Santiago-obligated, however, to report that the Camino de Plata
facilities and organization have grown and improved significantly.  All over
Seville (which a New York Times article a few weeks ago rightly described as
"gorgeous") tiles have been installed on  walls and crossways showing the Way
to Santiago.  There are new albergues and pilgrim facilities all over the Way
facilities and the offices of the Friends of the Camino in Seville could not
be more helpful. They even have a computer there for free use by pilgrims.
The Seville Friends, in conjunction with the Deputation of  Seville have
published a guide which is the very best that I have ever seen anytime,
anywhere and in any language.  It is not too big (173 rather sturdy pages),
it contains every piece of practical information that anyone could possibly
need, and yet is chock-full of pictures, suggestions, fascinating historical
references and clear section maps.  The name of the book is "VIA DE LA
PLATA', Guia del Camino Mozarabe de Santiago" Sevilla- Santiago de
Compostela.  It costs about 20 Euros (25 US Dollars) and I got my copy at the
bookstore "Casa del Libro" in calle Tetuan.
It rained in Seville on Palm Sunday and the next Monday and Tuesday, which
meant that there were no processions, etc., this otherwise deplorable turn of
 weather  events proved serendipitous for me since I had the time to sit and
read the guide without feeling that I had to be out in the streets as one
must during Holy Week in Seville..
The guide has so impressed me that I am changing my plans:  I was going to
commence my (fourth) Camino in O Cebreiro next June, but I've decided to walk
part of the Via  de Plata; at least from Salamanca to Zamora.
The guide is written in Spanish and is currently being translated to French;
I do not know whether, or if, it will be translated into English. Questions
in that respect were decidedly not encouraged by the Friends and I myself
felt it more advisable to avoid the subject.
I picked up another wonderful guide: "Diario del Peregrino" which is the work
of a single "working pilgrim", so to speak. It is short and to the point,
bereft of opinions and/or introspections  and quite amusing and informative.
It is meant for reader-participation, since it has blank pages for the
reading pilgrim to add her own impressions, seals, and even autographs of
other pilgrims.
I also got another book called "El Camino de Santiago para Paganos y
Escepticos"; I haven't read it yet, but it sounds interesting.
I've often been mystified by the repeated efforts of some pilgrims to
deChristianize the Camino  (whyever do they go?); perhaps I'll find some
explenations to that puzzlement in this book.
I got three more books and learned of several significant changes being
enacted by the Archdiocese in relation to the pilgrimage..... but I've got to
run to Mass now and will have to wait to tell you about it later.
Best and warm regards; (particularly for you, Pieter, and a big hug to Trigo
accompanied by a prolonged scratch behind the ears.)
Rosina