Suggested route from Sarria?

Lisa Kraus LMKRAUSaDOANE.EDU
Thu Apr 24 17:45:17 PDT 2003

Aloha peregrinos,

Yes, Sarria would be a good place to start, but it's only 115 kms. from Santiago and you could cover at least 168 at a pace of 12 kms each day.  If you walked 15 kms. on a few of those days you could easily add more distance to your Camino.  Take into account how much time you plan to stay in Santiago once you arrive, but I would suggest these other starting points (O'Cebreiro would be my top pick if I were choosing):

Samos (127 kms. from Santiago)--sorry I don't have any info. on the albergue--incredible 6th Century monastary, I think that the Benedictines there offer hospitality (has anyone stayed here?), and tours of the monastary.

Triacastela (134 kms. from Santiago)--albergue capacity 60--nice albergue, but no kitchen.  pretty little village in a pretty little valley.

***O'Cebreiro (about 156 kms. from Santiago)--albergue capacity 80--incredible view and history, nice albergue, nice shops and cafes, historic church--definitely on my "must-see list" for the Camino.

Vega de Valcarce (166 kms. from Santiago)--municipal albergue capacity 64--I didn't stay here, so I can't speak for the quality of the albergue, but it would be a beautiful walk (though lots of uphill trail) starting here and going on to O' Cebreiro for your first day.

Villafranca del Bierzo (182 kms. from Santiago)--2 albergues, one with a capacity of 50, the other holds 60--This is a good size town that would have any supplies that you might have forgotten, lots of nice places to eat and things to see.

Good luck and buen Camino!
Lisa
lmkraus at doane.edu

	-----Original Message-----
	From: C Martin [mailto:chambon at WEBTV.NET]
	Sent: Thu 24-Apr-03 3:22 PM
	To: GOCAMINO at PETE.URI.EDU
	Subject: Suggested route from Sarria?

	We are a group of pilgrims from Hawaii with only two weeks in late May
	and early June to complete El Camino's  minimum required distance of 100
	kilometers.  We had planned to start in Sarria. Is this a recommended
	start point?  We would appreciate a listing of towns and/or refugios
	along this route.  We would like to restrict our maximum distance
	between refugios to 12-15 kilometers per day.  Any informations or
	suggestions to help plan ahead of time would be  appreciated.
	     Gratefully, Aloha, Martin Schmalz