new backpack (GoLite Speed pack)

Reynolds, Laurie LREYNOLDaLAW.UIUC.EDU
Wed Apr 23 18:32:46 PDT 2003

About a year ago, I was going through the same gear obsessing search.  I had
walked in 2000 with a big Lowe Alpine internal frame pack (I think the pack
alone weighs close to 7 pounds!) and was determined to get something lighter
for 2002.  I investigated the GoLite but found that its light weight was
mainly due to a total lack of support structure -- it's sort of like a bag
on straps.  For some people that's fine, but I have lower back strain at
times, and there is really very little in the structure of the GoLite that
distributes the weight.  My compromise was the Mountainsmith Ghost, about
3100 cubic inches and a little over two pounds.  There's no internal frame,
but the padded belt, the many straps, and some arc construction around the
edge of the pack did a great job of transferring the weight to my hips.  I
had no problems.  I think the GoLite works for many people, but if you have
a slightly aging back like mine, you might want to do a lot of pre-Camino
walking to make sure your back can handle it.  Buen camino to all the lucky
peregrinos getting ready to set out.  Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: wisdom's aspirant
To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
Sent: 4/23/2003 4:26 PM
Subject: Re: new backpack (GoLite Speed pack)

Well, 3200 to 3600 cubic inches: the reviewer carried up to 30 pounds in
it.  It's a full pack. The reviewer said that, like other internal frame
packs , it "shines" with 20-25 pounds aboard, certainly more than I will
take on the Camino.  My full Camino pack is 3200 cu. inches. and carries
up to 25 pounds. It is a full internal frame pack and I actually have
room for more stuff than I am taking.

Deanna

]

So, at 32-35 litres, it's a day-pack.  Hardly suitable for a 6-week
trek?

Ed