Where to live your rucksack??

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Thu Apr 17 18:48:42 PDT 2003

Don't be mislead. There is a theft problem along the route, especially
in the big cities - in my first week last fall, I met two pilgrims who
were victims of very bold thefts in Pamplona. One of them lost his
entire kit and the other was the victim of a purse snatcher. There was
also a theft of money from a pilgrim at the refugio in Palas de Rei. I
had gone to a hotel and did not meet the victim, but was told about it
from a fellow pilgrim who stayed at the refugio that night. This does
not mean that any pilgrims were involved in thievery. The thefts in
Pamplona occurred on the streets. At crowded refugios it is difficult to
know who the legitimate pilgrims are, with many people going in and out.
The hospitaleros are often too busy to try to keep watch on everything
and some small refugios do not have hospitaleros in attendance.

regards,

Bob