Emergency contact while on the "Road"

Reynolds, Laurie LREYNOLDaLAW.UIUC.EDU
Thu Apr 17 13:59:17 PDT 2003

I had the same concerns while walking on the Camino.  I had left my husband,
children, parents, etc. behind.  Though many of the refugios do have phones,
I think you would find it virtually impossible to predict where you are
going to be over the course of a 30 day walk.  Some people carried cell
phones (one German couple we met had left instructions that they would only
turn the phone one for one set hour a day and that any call would have to
wait for that hour).  What I did was to buy phone cards in the tabacalera
shops -- just as here, there are lots and lots of different brands,
different rates, but the people in the shops know what works best for the
US.  Than I just called home every other day, it was cheap and efficient.
Buen camino,  Laurie