Motives

Maura Santangelo maurasantangeloaSTNY.RR.COM
Fri Apr 11 16:51:12 PDT 2003

I have been following the comments on escapism, being a veteran of travel for
apparent humanitarian reasons, I can tell you that part of it was also
escapism.  There is nothing like a few weeks dealing with no hot water, no
toilet, inedible or unrecognizable food, social blunders, days in 4 wheel
drives on barely imagined roads, dust, mosquitoes, cold, heat, getting sick
away from any possible help, ....to build strength of character, give you a
sense of confidence and get a new perspective on life the universe and
everything.
The real trip is internal regardless of your motives.  There is a famous line
from TS Eliot which I cannot currently remember (can someone look it up, I
believe it was part of the Quartets) which does say this much better thatn I
possibly can.

Maura

PS. I have already started on my trip, I am now in Italy, will unsubscribe
after FRance