Motives

Carlos Mentley mentleyaERSKINE.EDU
Sat Apr 12 09:44:24 PDT 2003

I am not sure how much (but I *am* sure that it is too much) our ability to
justify making a pilgrimage has been affected by the insidious work "ethic" that
controls so much of our lives.  I think that the concern expressed here with the
idea of "escape" shows this perfectly.  For me the Camino did not provide an
escape from anything: problems, questions, issues did not go away.  What it did
provide, though, was distance, both literally and figuratively.  During my Camino
and ever since, I have been grateful for that sense of distance which allows for
perspective and reevaluation.  But again, I never thought of it as an escape.
Hey--my 2 cents worth.

Carlos