St Jean to Roncevalles

dandekay dandekayaSBCGLOBAL.NET
Tue Apr 1 11:53:02 PST 2003

And there's a great water fountain just at the Spanish border.  From there the uphill parts are almost over (well, almost).  Yes, one of the best days on the entire Camino.
 Daniel
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Paul Newfield
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 5:24 AM
  Subject: Re: St Jean to Roncevalles

  SJPP ---> Roncevalles over the Route Napoleon (April 23, 1999) was a treasured experience not to be missed.  I had rain, some mild sleet, got lost 3 times, viewed the earth from the top of the world, had a chance to listen to the wind, saw the virgin of the mountain (a sad sight), and after an exhausting first day on the camino was warmly welcomed by the duty-hospitalero at the monastary at Roncevalles.

  My only bits of advise:  Start early, not at 10:30 like I did.  Have a workable map with you (I did not).  Inquire about the way markers along the road and path.  Bring sufficient water.  And, enjoy the day.  There will  be better days and there will  be worse.

  Paul Newfield