Honto... between SJPP and Roncesvalle

Paul Newfield pcn01aWEBDSI.COM
Wed Sep 4 05:18:11 PDT 2002

'Hunnto' is on the Route Napoleon...

It is listed in Millan Bravo's "A Practical Guide for Pilgrims...", p.43, but listed as 'Untto'.  Phone # listed as: (05 59 37 11 17)

In "El Camino de Santiago a pie" (El Pais/Aguilar, 1999), p.64-65, it is called 'Honto'.

OBSERVATION:  The pilgrim will notice that places along the camino do NOT necessarily have only one name; often they have two names, and other times more.  In Basquelandia the names are always different, and bear no similarity to one another at all.  Further along the camino, in the area of Galicia, the sounds of the place names will be similar, but the spelling different.  Apparently travel writers are seldom attentive to these different names for the same place, and it can be a source of confusion.

Paul Newfield
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Joe English
  Subject: Re: gite between SJPP and Roncesvalle

  On Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:22:27 -0700, Joe and Lydia Banales
  <lydiaaBANALES.NET> wrote:

  >Could someone please clarify if the gite is on the Val Carlos route or
  >the Napoleon route. Thanks. Lydia

  As you now know the Gite is at Hunnto.
  Regarding staying there, if that is your intention, here is my tuppence
  worth ......
  I do not feel that one has put sufficient distance from SJPP for this to be
  an adequate 'midway' point for those who are concerned about the walk to
  Roncesvalles. The distance is something like 6 km, and is by no means the
  most 'vertical' part of that particular section. Also if you get to the
  gite early in the day there is NOTHING to do there. It is literally a farm
  building on its own.
  When we left SJPP (at 10:45 AM on day one) full of trepidation, the lady in
  the office in SJPP strongly suggested that we stay in Hunnto that night,
  and then move on in the morning. Our original plan was to walk to
  Roncesvalles, but she talked us out of it. Anyway when we got to the Gite
  it began raining, and poured for about an hour. The lady in the gite
  allowed us to shelter outside, and closed her doors and curtains. We felt
  very unwelcome. We had intended staying there, but her unfriendliness
  helped us decide to walk on to Roncesvalles. When the rain cleared we
  continued and got to Roncesvalles at about eight PM (I think).
  Now to the main point of my note (sorry about the negativity above)....If
  one were planning to use the stop at Hunnto, a good plan would be to arive
  at SJPP in the afternoon, spend some time looking around the town and then
  walk to Hunnto in time for dinner. I often regret that I did not spend any
  time in SJPP, as it is a beautiful town in it's own right. Like most
  Perigrinos I got in on the train and got on the Camino as fast as
  possible.  Next time ....
  Best regards
  Joe