gite between SJPP and Roncesvalle

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Mon Sep 2 07:37:35 PDT 2002

The 1997 CJS guide (Le Puy route) gives this:

'"Gîtes d'tape" contain simple, dormitory-type accommodation, at least
one hot shower and cooking facilities and cost between 30FF - 60FF per
person in 1996.'

In my own experience, they sometimes provided meals as well and they
were for the general public - not just for pilgrims. In fact I met only
one pilgrim in any gîte. Actually I stayed at only three. For the rest
of the time in France I stayed at cheap hotels, motels, chambres d'hôte,
youth facilities (open to pilgrims, even the elderly), a presbytery, a
monastery, and the workshop of a stable.

Sorry about the long-winded answer - I got carried away.