Compostela: Spanish v Latin

Jeffrey Crawley jeffrey.crawleyaDOVER.GOV.UK
Mon Sep 2 01:15:32 PDT 2002

Certainly last year the three (delightful) Spanish girls shoed lots of
interest in where you had come from, how long you had taken - just in front
of me were two wonderful Austrain pilgrims in their 60's who had walked all
the way from Vienna!

When I started out from SJPP and again at Roncesvalles I put
down "religious" (I'm RC) but I did notice that although equal interest was
shown in "tourist" or "pleasure" pilgrims - and I'm not sneering here -
they definitely only got the "short" form of Compostella.

What's the alternative though?  If you lie and say you did it for religious
reasons when that's not true surely you debase your own Camino?

It is, after all, only a piece of paper.  The fact that you did it at all,
for whatever reason, elevates you into a unique brotherhood.

Jeffrey