Route questions - Ponferrada to Santiago

Peter Nowell synergyaSYNPROD.COM
Sat Oct 19 10:50:12 PDT 2002

Dear Brand New Camino Friends,

This is my first post and introduction to this board.

I will be in a group of seven friends walking from Ponferrada to Santiago.

OK we're soft - most in our group prefer inns/hotels to refugios. I know
there are places to stay in Villafranca del Bierzo, Cabriero, and Sarria
(and Lugo if we want to take that diversion), but RECOMMENDATIONS for those
places would be much appreciated.  Plus, what other towns along the way
have hotels that don't require bedrolls? (So we can plan our walking
segments accordingly).  Do all the towns with refugios along the way also
have at least one inn with beds?

As we are not carrying backpacks (other than small day ones), we would like
to have one or two in the group ferry our bags by minivan each day to a
hotel about 10-15 miles up the route and then return (by bus?) to hike (or
that could be the day those folks would take trips to outlying towns).
I've read that the main roads don't intersect the trail much so it might be
hard for those in a van to double back and reconnect with the walkers.

Do any of you have experience with such travel plans? If so, please tell me
how you worked it out.

My brief skirmish with books on the area has me thinking that the
Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo trek goes through some very beautiful -
 while very steep? - countryside.  Is this the best of the route?  I ask
that because a couple in our group want to start ahead of the rest of us
and meet us further down the line but I think perhaps this wouldn't be a
segment to give up.  What do you think?

Of course, we would welcome any must see, must experience recommendations
you might have!

Please email replys directly to synergyasynprod.com (as well as this board)
as we are leaving on Wednesday!

Best regards,

Peter Nowell