Madrid to Pamplona to St. Jean: numbers: IMPORTANT CHANGE

Judith Nollar jnollaraLIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU
Thu Oct 10 16:58:22 PDT 2002

Dear Peregrinos,

We have just returned from our Camino, and on Sept. 10, called Mr. Pedro
Telechea from Madrid South bus station to arrange transport from Pamplona to
St. Jean..  Mr. Pedro has now retired, and his service is being referred to
the delightful and reliable Sr.. Francisco (Pepi) Martinez.
Sr. Martinez is best reached on his cell phone at 649 72 59 51. His regular
number is 948 79 03 86.  His address is: c/Errekezabal 5, 31694
Aurizberri-Espinal.  He met our party of 8 at the Pamplona Bus Station with
a van for 5 and an extra taxi for 3, and took us to St. Jean.  Since the
Euro came in,
all prices in Spain have gone up some, and I believe we paid around $65.00
per taxi.  Later, one of our group needed a taxi from Roncesvalles, called
Francisco Martinez early in the morning, and he was there promptly and
reasonably, as he lives between Pamplona and Roncesvalles, going in to the
city each day to work.

Re train vs. bus Madrid to Pamplona.  We found the bus schedules much more
convenient, as there are several a day from the Estacion del Sur (ours was
ca. 10:30 am), going right into the heart of Pamplona.  Trains, on the other
hand, are more expensive and run only twice a day - early morning or later
afternoon.  The bus was clean, comfortable, made a 20 min. lunch stop, and
had a toilet on board.
If anyone needs more details on the bus, feel free to write me directly.

Buen Camino,
Judy Nollar