The Ages of Mankind

Rosina Lila BlaroliaAOL.COM
Wed Oct 2 10:51:20 PDT 2002

Hello you all,
While walking the Camino in the summer of 2000 I was terribly fortunate to
reach Astorga at the time when "The Ages of Mankind" exhibition was being
held both in the Cathedral and the pilgrim's museum.  The exhibit was of a
lights and sound kind, including modern technology media, like laser ray
composites and the like, and it had hundreds of middle age works of art, a
great many Camino related.  Fortunately for me, the exhibition had just
opened when I reached Astorga; later it became such a success that
would-be-visitors would need to make reservations weeks in advance.
More than a hundred of the pieces of art of that exhibit, dating from the
10th to the 19th century, have come to New York City, including a
12th-century carving of Jesus, a Gutenberg bible and paintings and sculptures
by El Greco, Goya, and other famed Spanish artists.  Until next November
24th, they may be seen in a free exhibition called "The Ages of Mankind: Time
to hope" at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine.
  It such be noted that the pieces exhibited had rarely, if ever, been shown
outside of Spain.
Fond regards,
Rosina