pilgrimage songs (in French)

Bob Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Mon Nov 4 23:02:17 PST 2002

My first day on the road this year ended at Ostabat, an ancient Basque
village where I stayed at the inn. There were twenty of us there for
dinner that night, including some who stayed at the gite. I am not sure
if they were all pilgrims or not, but most of them were. Most of the
others were French, but there were a few from Quebec. Some of the
pilgrims had started from Saint Palais, as I had, and were planning to
go all the way to Santiago. Others had started from LePuy and were
planning to end at Saint Jean or Roncevaux and complete the rest on a
later trip. There was a lot of singing and one song in particular was
about the pilgrimage. There were some copies of the words printed out so
that those who didn't know them could join in. I was given one of those
and one of the ladies was kind enough to tear a leaf out of her book for
me. This had the music to the song that they were singing and had
another pilgrimage song on the back page. I don't know if the rest of
the book was all pilgrim songs or not. I didn't see any of the rest of
it. The leaf I have is numbered 89 and 90, so if the rest of the book is
all pilgrim songs, there are a lot of them. I have sent an e-mail to the
kind donor, asking if she could let me know the book title and all, or
at least the ISBN number, but I have not heard from her. Perhaps there
are some in these groups that have further information on this book.

The first song is: "Chant des Pèlerins de Compostelle."

Paroles et musique: J. Claude Bénazet

A rough translation of the first verse (from French) is:

Every morning we take the road
Every morning we go further
Day after day the route calls us
It is the voice of Compostelle