Camino Canines

Sue Kenney sue.kenneyaSYMPATICO.CA
Tue May 14 10:50:19 PDT 2002

Robert and other pilgrims,

Here's a canine story from my pilgrimage in November/December 2001.
Enjoy!

Bernie, The Peregrino Dog

I also had the pleasure of the the accompaniment of a dog I met in
Castrojeriz. He was known as the "peregrino dog". His owners are the
proprietors of the first bar you reach in the village, the one with the
internet cafe.

When I first arrived at the bar, this rather large German Shepherd
greeted
me at the door by jumping up on me, and then he licked my face. I found
out that the dog's name was Bernie. Coincidentally, my middle name is
Bernadette and I often get called Bernie too! Instantly we became
buddies and while I ate breakfast he laid beside my chair, as if to
protect me. They also have a bird that is quite friendly and not caged.
The bird flew over to the table I was sitting at and helped himself to
my toast!

Note: You are never alone on the Camino!

Soon I left the bar with an Argentinean pilgrim and Bernie followed us
out
the door. We kept encouraging him to go home, but he wouldn't leave us.
We
walked at least 24kms to Fromista with Bernie. He would take turns
walking with me, then  he would run ahead to walk with the other
pilgrim. When we arrived in Fromista many people called out to the dog,
"Ola Bernie". Little did we know, he was a local hero in this town.

Through various conversations I found out that Bernie selected pilgrims
most days and cheerfully made the trek in their company. However, he
would refuse to walk the 24kms back home. Each day his owners would have
to drive all the way to Fromista to bring him home, only to have him do
the same thing again the next day!

Bernie was just one of the many gifts I received from the Camino.

Sue/Bernie
sue.kenneyasympatico.ca