New Member

Tony Theil Tonytheil2aAOL.COM
Mon May 13 14:21:54 PDT 2002

Greetings to all,

            Enjoyed reading the archives last night, so I thought I'd
subscribe to stay in touch with the Camino, to be in touch with those who
will do the Camino and with those who have done it.  I took early retirement
in 11/99 at age 56 when I walked the Camino from St Jean 11/25/99 and arrived
in Santiago on 1/1/00.  Walked it again from Leon on 10/15/01 and arrived in
Santiago on10/29/01.  Both experiences were exceptional, but different.  And
I plan to walk it again in the future, maybe starting out from St Jean in
January or February.

       From what I've read in the archives, everyone who is ready to set out
wants to be well prepared.  I think the mistake of many, including myself, we
overplan, we overpack, and we want for everything to go all right.  The only
thing we need to be a well prepared pilgrim is attitude, one that is
accepting and adaptable to all circumstances.  Nothing can go wrong, it just
doesn't go as planned.  Embrace the Camino and let it lead you.

       Last month I completed a walking pilgrimage in Italy, from Loreto to
Assisi.  It does not have the infrastructure that the Camino de Santiago has,
but I think anyone who has walked the Camino would also find the Italian
experience rewarding.  I would like to take an active role in developing a
pilgrimage route from Loreto to Assisi.  Anyone interested should contact me
at my e-mail address.

       A recommendation I would make to all:  Join the American Friends of
The Road to Santiago.  I joined last year and have been a member of the
Confraternity of St James for the past 2 years.  These organizations keep you
on the Camino and provide that post-Camino nourishment that many pilgrims
hunger for.  If I could violate the guidelines just once, then let me give
thanks to Linda Davidson, Maryjane Dunn, and David Gitlitz for being the
providers of an informative, well-organized, and helpful organization.

                                     Tony Theil  from Philadelphia, PA

PS - Any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at my e-mail
address.