French Route

bill deutschman olcbillaFIRESERVE.NET
Thu May 9 07:08:31 PDT 2002

Kyle;

My wife and I did the Le Puy to Santiago route with bicycles in 2000.  Here are
some random thoughts.  There are lots of small inexpensive hotels along the
route but they cost $20 or so per night.  We took camping and cooking equipment
as well.  Camping spots cost $5 to 10 per night.  We ate fruit, Yogurt, bread &
coffee for breakfast; cheese, sausages, bread & wine for lunch and then either
cooked dinner or ate out.  You can get a nice dinner for around $8 - 10.  There
are also many refugios but not as many as in Spain.  The trail is rugged in
France, up and down hills through the mountains.  Here are my pros & cons for
your question.

Pro:
Camping and cooking your food is cheaper but you can also cook in the refugios.

You have the security of knowing that you always have food and shelter.

Con:
Your tent, stove AND pots, plates, silverware, stakes, sleeping bag, mattress
as well as the food will probably weigh  15 pounds.  Many of the pilgrims on
this list talk about 20 to 25 pound packs.  I would not want to carry a 35 to
40 pound pack the entire distance.

You did not mention the type of stove but make sure you can get fuel for it.
 If it is a gasoline stove you'll have to carry a fuel bottle and gasoline
which is no problem.  However, propane stoves have two types of fittings.  We
carried a light weight screw type and could not find any store that sold the
canisters outside of Paris, Pamplona and Lisbon.  We ran out of fuel twice.

The campgrounds may be closed in the fall.  All of our information said that
they would be open in late April or by May 1 for our pilgrimage.  We found that
many were still closed in mid May so we had to stay in a hotel anyway.
  European campgrounds are not like the ones in the US.  Do not expect to find
tables, benches or fire places so plan to sit on the ground.  Otherwise they
are very nice and most of them have a camp store, a snack bar/small restaurant
and pay showers.

While people are very friendly in the campgrounds it will not be the same as
staying in a refugio.

My conclusion:

If/when I go back to walk the Camino I will plan to go light, stay in the
refugios and buy my meals.  It costs more but you get to sample the local
cuisine and socialize with other people.  We heard that cyclists were not
wanted at refugios which is why we planned to camp.  The hotels proved to be a
better choice for us.

bill

bill deutschman
455 hillside avenue