veggie pilgrims

Randy Olson rolsonaSMCVT.EDU
Mon May 6 14:01:27 PDT 2002

The typical Spanish diet leans heavily towards meat, so outside of the
larger metropolitan areas, vegetarian pickings can be pretty slim in the
bars and restaurants.  In our small band of pilgrims, one young woman was a
vegetarian.  She  would eat eggs, but no flesh of any kind.  Thus, she ate a
lot of Spanish Tortillas (eggs and potatoes), macaroni with Tomate Frito,
mixed salads, cheese, bread and ice-cream.  We tended to prepare meals in
the refugios when there was a kitchen available, and doing this, we could
accomodate her well.   Where she was most limited was in the restaurants
offering the special menu; most every dish has some kind of meat or fish in
it, even the ones that are mainly vegetable dishes.   Also, be forewarned:
ham does not fall under the general category of carne, according to many
Spaniards.  You can ask whether something is "sin carne" and be told that
"yes, it is without carne" only to find out that the dish has ham in it.
I've ordered a vegeterian sandwich in Spain before that has had ham on it.

Best,
Randy