Global Gazetteer URL

Robert Spenger rspengeraADELPHIA.NET
Sat Mar 30 07:14:10 PST 2002

Felipe,

Great site! And lots of fun for those of us who are map freaks. It did give me
a few problems. My first thought was to look up Santiago de Compostela, so I
clicked on Sa. Then it occurred to me that of all the possible pairs of
letters, this one was guaranteed to produce the largest flood of responses,
which it tried to do. When it reported 99% of the seven hundred or so kb of
data, it hung up and I had to cancel out of Netscape and log back on again.
Pamplona and Roncesvalles both came through,  but the maps did not come up,
just the little pictures with the torn corners that indicate some sort of
problem. That was disappointing, it would have been nice to get the maps
themselves. On the plus side, having the elevations was an unexpected bonus.

I see that the rest of the world is also available from this site, but I was
surprised that the U.S. was not in the list of countries available. I wouldn't
need it, since there are a couple of extensive mapping services available for
the U.S., but I don't understand why it isn't listed on this site.

I notice that this site reports that it has data for just under three million
places. It was just about the same number in the data base that I was using,
Meridian World Data.

regards,

Robert