Still a little baffled...Travel advice

Bill Chandler chandlebaMAIL.UWW.EDU
Wed Mar 27 07:04:11 PST 2002

Gina,

You can catch an Air France bus from Charles DeGaulle to the
Montparnasse station.  I stayed at a small hotel with my wife for a
few days before she came home and I went on to the Camino.  I am sure
you could find a hotel in the area if you are going to stay for a
short time to decompress from the plane flight.  I would imagine you
could book a hotel at the air port or at the train station if you
have not already done so through an agent here or internet.  I got my
train ticket a day or so in advance simply because I had the time.
You can get tickets at any of the stations in Paris.  The trip it
self is ordinary.  Lasts about 6 or 7 hours.  In Biaritz I changed
trains for the extra hour or so to St Jean.  In both '97 and 2000 I
just walked from the station and got a hotel room at the Hotel
Central.  It was the last indulgence before the walk.  There is a
refugio in St. Jean.  In '97 I got my first 'passport' stamp from
Madame Debril.  In 2000 I went to the refugio and got my first stamp
there.  The first days walk is arduous up into and over the
Mountains.  In 2000 it took about 8 hours.  In '97 it was much more.
It is a great sight to see the border crossing.

That is it for now.  Buen Camino.

bill

--
William L. Chandler, Ed.D.