Antes de Partir

jim allen jallen08aTAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sun Mar 24 15:32:36 PST 2002

Our contact in Spain is a surgical resident in Madrid whom we have known for 10 years.  He told us that if we needed medical care just to go to the hospital and they will treat us.  Spain medicine is available regardless of ability to pay.  They may bill you, might you have to pay?

Jim Allen
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Leonie Galil
  To: GOCAMINOaPETE.URI.EDU
  Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2002 7:34 PM
  Subject: Re: Antes de Partir

  I was told by my supplemental insurer that while Medicare does not pay for claims outside the country, they would pay 80% of the bill. I would however have to pay while abroad and then upon my return turn in my bills.
  Pieter mentioned that military hospitals in Spain were supposed to treat people for free. John in Australia said to be careful about Burgos because not only did he get a bill but it was also a hefty one.
  Have a safe journey.
  Leonie